I am deeply interested in the topic of this activity, and I immediately chose to delve into the discussion and understanding of it. Firstly, it is undeniable that the privacy policy is of utmost importance. It affects whether our rights to personal privacy as students or users are being violated. In this age of advanced internet technology, personal privacy is easily compromised, leading to numerous intrusive phone calls that disrupt one’s life, all because one’s privacy has been to some extent threatened. However, whether it’s the privacy policy at a university or the terms and conditions that need to be read when using mobile apps, it seems that we tend to ignore them every time. This same situation applies to me as well. Before discussing this topic, I had never considered or cared about the university’s privacy policy. I didn’t know whether the school would use my personal information to do something harmful to me. Similarly, every time I use a new mobile app, numerous pages of the privacy policy always pop up. But I always unhesitatingly skip and agree because if I don’t, I won’t be able to use the app. I would naturally assume that the school or some apps wouldn’t use my personal information to do anything illegal or harmful to me.

Let’s talk about the privacy policy of the University of Victoria. After searching for keywords on the internet, I could easily and effortlessly bring up the key information for me to read. The privacy policy of Victoria University has been made into a PDF and placed at the top of the website. Before looking for it, I had no knowledge or concern about these policies. After finding it, I briefly read through this PDF, which contains many formal provisions. This is a very correct and effective approach. However, at the same time, because of the numerous provisions and text, I had no interest or patience to read it all. This is also one of the main reasons why most people are reluctant to read it. In the policy, I did not find anything surprising or alarming. Everything seemed to be reasonable and compliant.